Cast Iron Fire Back
A CAST IRON FIRE BACK (French, c. 1895) from the workshop of Jules Allard and Sons, installed in the Great Hall fireplace of The Breakers. The rectangular fire back has an arched crest and a border with lotus leaf tips. Depicted in relief at center is the Vanderbilt coat of arms, featuring three acorn sprays on the right of an armorial shield. The shield is crested by a helmet with a barred visor and surrounded by a foliate mantel featuring bulrushes, ribbon, stylized flower heads and acanthus leaves.
48" x 58"
Gift of Mrs. Gladys T. Peterson, 1972.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.