Statue of Mercury
late 19th century
A statue of Mercury (French, late 19th century) cast by the Barbedienne Foundry, after Giambologna’s (Flemish, 1529-1608) statue of Mercury for the Villa Medici. The god Mercury is depicted at full length, he wears a winged helmet and holds a caduceus in his left hand while his right arm is raised up, he stands with his left foot on a raised allegory of the North Wind. The whole is raised in a stepped square marble base.
26.25" x 12" x 6.5"
Gift of Countess Marguerite de Pourtales, 1963.
For more information about this item, please contact its owning institution.